Wedding Cakes are the grand finale to a reception – so shouldn’t they be breathtaking? Here is advice on how to find a wedding cake baker and questions you should ask.
Cupcakes vs. Wedding Cakes: The Showdown!
Wedding cupcakes keep popping up again and again in the media as a way to save money on your wedding or adding a bit of whimsy to the reception. But what’s the truth? Are they really a good alternative to a wedding cake? I decided to have a showdown and see who could be quicker on the draw when it came to cost, style, and tradition. Which one do you think will win?
COST – This is the big question, isn’t it? When wedding cupcakes first became a trend, they were touted as a great way to save money: spend a buck or two for a cupcake rather than $4 or $5 per slice for cake. But bakers soon caught on that doing wedding cupcakes are just as much work – if not more – than a traditional cake. Every single one of those suckers has to be baked and iced. If you’re doing specialty decorations, you’ll need one for each cupcake. And, most bakeries will rent you a cake stand, but you might have to purchase a cupcake stand. In the end, it all comes down to choices.
Questions to ask your Wedding Cake Designer
Before you visit a potential wedding cake baker or designer, print out this list of questions to ask. You’ll make sure to cover all the bases, avoid disasters, and get the wedding cake of your dreams.
Do you have a portfolio of previous wedding cakes you’ve made that we can look at?
- Will you be having a tasting soon that we can attend and try various kinds of wedding cake and cake fillings??
- Can you supply references?
- Will you do a custom wedding cake, or are there a set number of designs for us to choose from?
- How adaptable are wedding cake designs, especially due to budget concerns?
- Do you have or can you rent items like cake toppers, stands, tiers, fountains, and cutters? Will we be billed extra?
- If I want to use fresh flowers on my cake, will you coordinate with my florist, or will I have to manage getting the flowers to you?
- What ingredients do you typically use? What kind of icing do you use?
(Better ingredients will cost more, but will make the cake taste better)
- How long before our wedding are the cakes prepared? How long does it take to make a cake?
(The closer to your wedding that the cake is prepared, the better it will taste. BUT, anyone who tells you that they can bake a wedding cake in a day is not telling you the truth, or isn’t being realistic. Due to the complicated nature of wedding cakes, they usually take between three and five days. )
- Are your wedding cakes priced by the slice? Is there an extra cost for special fillings or details? Will you charge extra for my design? Is there a price list I can take home with me to study?
- Can you give me a written proposal I can take home?
- Do you do deliver? How much does it cost? Will the delivery person be able to make emergency frosting or decoration repairs and arrange the cake table? (For anything even slightly complicated, getting them to deliver is best. You won’t want to be stuck with 150 ruined pieces of wedding cake at $8 per slice, much less on the morning of your wedding.)
In our opinion, your best choice for this very special center piece of your wedding day is Flour Power Bakery. Cindy Olivarez, owner, is fabulous to work with & takes great pride in her work to make sure you will be happy and truly LOVES what she does…that makes all the difference when it comes to price over service as she can deliver on both, meeting if not exceeding your expectations.
Complimentary (& so yummy) tastings are done here at Aly Am Paperie as we wait (with lots of anticipation) for her to move in & share our area with us…thus giving you one-stop-shopping with invitations, cake & floral all in one location.
Contact Flour Power at (210) 694-9288
Email at [email protected]
Check out these cake ideas from the Knot and when you find one you love just share it with Flour Power and she will make it the center piece of your very special day!